National Pizza Day is observed every year on Feb. 9. Since the dish is a staple of college life, we’d like to do a shout-out to this wonderful food.
First, here are some facts about pizza:
- The ancient Greeks covered their flatbread with oils, herbs and cheese, but the modern pizza was invented in Naples, Italy.
- The term “pizza” was first recorded in the 10th century, in a Latin manuscript from central Italy.
- The Ancient Greeks had the word πικτή (pikte), “fermented pastry”, which in Latin became “picta”, and late Latin “pitta“ became “pizza.”
- An estimated 13% of the U.S. population consumes pizza on any given day.
- The world’s largest recorded pizza 122 feet 8 inches in diameter.
Take2’s favorite pizzas:
Hawaiian is up there for me. That’ll be mine. It’s too hard to pick a favorite.
Meat-lovers. All. Meat.
Meat-lovers. It has everything anyone could ask for!
Mine is just pepperoni.
I second the pepperoni.
Hawaiin with jalepeños.
What’s your favorite?