- UW-Stout launched the strategic planning initiative program in 2011
- Objective: to increase the number of opportunities for first year students to work on campus.
- Take2 was one of the programs funded through the initiative
- Previous research at UW-Stout which showed that freshmen who work on campus have retention rates that exceed the university average by 9-10 percentage points.
- Also: student employment was identified as a leading indicator that is effective in closing the achievement gap for racial and ethnic minorities.
Looking Ahead: 5 Year Plan
- Engage all freshmen in an on-campus experience.
- A committee has been charged with developing a proposal for this and it is anticipated that they will include on-campus jobs as one of the on-campus experiences.
- Grow program so 50% of UW-Stout freshmen can be employed in an on-campus position by 2019.
Each on-campus position should include:
- Student’s connectedness to campus
- Team approach
- Mentorship with peers and advisors
- Learning transferrable skills
- A meaningful work experience
- Application of coursework to position
- Monetary compensation.